Saturday, December 26, 2009

Maritime Museum and Café Lisboa

I visited the Maritime museum in Rotterdam. I was not too keen on visiting it because ships didn't appeal too much to me but I did not have much chalked out for today so I ended up going after all. And you know I sure am glad that I did because the Museum Ship 'De Buffel' is quite a small wonder all by itself. If I remember correctly, this used to be a warship that sailed along the coast of Holland and then as the times went by, technology progressed and the 'De Buffel' became outdated. The ship was however in perfect shape and the government decided to convert it into a museum. So the vessel is presently docked at the Maritime Museum and on board, you have various props such as the wax statues below that document the lives of Dutch Sailors on vessels at sea. I personally loved the decor in the lounge area which was reserved for the Captain and his guests. The setting was such that one feels you are actually on board the vessel, all equipped with noises, articles and other things seen on a ship. There was a beautiful piano and the pages from a Sonata on the side. The dining table was laid out with food (not edible ofcourse) and the lamps were lit and there were lovely old books lying on the table. I loved all of it. I guess this visit has thought me one thing, never judge a book by its cover! So if you see that place which looks so dreary, I say give it another chance. Who knows maybe you might fight a nice photo opportunity buried under the boring exterior or you may even improve on your general knowledge or you lust just have something to do for about 2 hours! :)


So later after spending a good day wandering around town. I went with my uncle and his family to Café Lisboa. Good Portuguese beer can make you feel at home rightaway! While at the little resto my uncle tried to drill sense into my head while sipping on one too many beers. All I gathered from his conversation was that I should save up my money and save up my money. I also undertsand that he has friends in Portugal who would like to help me if I decide to move there but it will not be a good move because Portugal does not pay its teachers too well. My uncle is a live contradiction! But all the same, it was quality time with the family and he is also grateful that I came in and convinced his present wife to stop divorcing him, so I enjoy the lovely treats to different restaurants with him and family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment