Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Paris Diary: Berenice Abbott, Sunset and Macarons


I had the honour of admiring Berenice Abbott's photos in person this week at Jeu de Paume. Berenice Abbott (1898-1991) is a world famous photographer and an inspiration to all women in the field. She is best known for her powerful black and white photos of New York and providing an incredible visual record of the changing city. She was 21 when she decided to move to Paris (same age as me when I made the same decision! :)  She studied sculpture but also worked as a darkroom assistant for Man Ray. Photography immediately became a strong passion and and soon opened her own studio. She photographed imminent writers like James Joyce and Jean Cocteau. On her return to New York, she decided to open her American studio and also took up teaching. She was also a pioneer in the field of science photography. She felt that science can in fact be an artist's muse. During this period, she photographed many scientific elements, laboratories and equipment. During her travels through the United States, she made sure to document the unique "American Scene". The photographs taken during this phase are my favorites. P.S. all Abbott related photos are courtesy Commerce Graphics Ltd.

Photos of soap bubbles and a portrait of James Joyce! 
I love seeing how the world looked in the past and Berenice Abbott's records are flawless! I love how the photos are so clear and crisp!
The American Scene. Love it! :)
After the museum, I was in for a treat. It's been ages since I saw a sunset. And what a beautiful sight to see the sun go down behind the Eiffel tower. 
Maybe I'm too enchanted by the city because I can't stop admiring the minute details that pop up everywhere I go! :) 
Gorgeous! don't you think? 
The Luxembourg gardens are just next to the museum, so you have to take a trip there and let time while away for a bit. Of course there are the ducks to keep you company.
Then it's off to your favourite store to buy one of your favourite things! Macarons! Your love affair with macarons is surely never going to stop. If you're ever in Paris, don't forget to go to Ladurée and try their desserts.
My favourite flavours are rose and blackcurrant. With all the money I spend buying these, it's about time I spent some time learning how to make them! 
What a great day and what a nice feeling to have free time to immerse oneself into lovely things. Work is getting more and more stressful but I've made a promise to myself to discover at least 5 new things a month (hence one each week) inorder to keep my brain active and peppy. I will open my mind to a new artist, a new recipe, a new hobby or even a new flavour of macaron! :)

10 comments:

  1. loved those black and white photographs and great to know about her. thanx for sharing. even i love to see how the world looked in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading and seeing your Paris experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the portrait of James Joyce befor but did not know wo had taken it. Thanks to you,now I do. BTW I loved the photograph of the winged statue with Eiffel tower as the background. Thanls for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece is a surprise treat for someone who aspires to be the male Berenice Abbott! Only, I am twice the age of 21 plus some and cannot move to Paris now. Those are some photographs that stopped the scrolling wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is a surprise treat for someone who aspires to be the male Berenice Abbott! Only, I am twice the age of 21 plus some and cannot move to Paris now. Those are some photographs that stopped the scrolling wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photos are awesome ! Great work !

    ReplyDelete
  7. These comment are so delightful! Thanks you guys!!!
    Umashankar, I personally feel age shouldn't stop us from doing what we love! You are after all the age you think you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Paris,
    because the city than the city model or style, this city inspires many in the arts. especially painting ......
    not for just painting but art and culture this city ....
    one day I will visit again

    ReplyDelete