Thursday, March 03, 2011

Ahh Étretat!

I have decided to dive fully into my work and surround myself by the people and things that make me happy. 
Travelling. Photography. Love. Poetry. Sea. Sea Gulls. 
You can find all of this in Étretat (pronounced at-rr-taa). This little farming town, located in Upper Normandy is famous for its über spectacular cliffs, one of which forms a natural arch. The town appears in the novel The Hollow Needle wherein Arsène Lupin, the Gentleman Thief (a fictional character who appears in a series of detective novels created by Maurice Leblanc or in short France's answer to Sherlock Holmes) finds the hidden treasure of the Kings of France in this arched cliff.
 
Another famous admirer of Étretat is the Father of Impressionist painting, Claude Monet, who painted the cliffs at various times of day and during various seasons as well. One of my favourite writers Guy de Maupassant spent most of his childhood in this town.
On this particular weekend, the sun decided to come out and on our way to the cliffs, we saw this lovely horse grazing away on a farm. I just had to stop and take a picture. Isn't he/she the cutest horse ever? I love the curious look on his/her face as I approached. He/she even let me pet him/her for a while and then realizing I had no treats to offer, he/she galloped away on the massive farm. *sniff* I have developed a liking for horses recently. They are one of the reasons, I am happy to live in the French countryside. I have no idea why but Goa (my hometown) never seemed too keen to integrate horses into the fauna fabric. I believe the weather conditions are either too hot or humid for the horses to adapt to. 


Finally we reached Étretat. The scene was perfect (except for the cold springtime winds and unsexy beach hair). There was just the right amount of sun, waves, pebbles and clouds. This is a perfect day trip from any point in the north-west of France. Although one must check the weather conditions and pick a day when the sun is shining or else the mood isn't quite vivant in the town. For lunch, head to one of the numerous crêperies and charming restos (very French for restaurant) dotting the little town. There are a few souvenir shops and antique stores in the centre but they seemed a bit too expensive for my liking.  


Finally, you know it's spring when the famous nomadic-inhabitants have returned to their homes in the cliffs. The sea gulls! They're not the friendliest lot and they won't pose too long for a photo. But there is still something captivating about them. They are an extension of the seas and the skies, the vast mysterious blues. The shrill cries, the flight, riding with the winds and not a care in the world. The sea gull is synonymous with a feeling we fight for everyday. The feeling so many die for and others take for granted. Freedom. 

1 comment:

  1. Caro, I felt like I was there too when I read that post. Lovely. And
    1)Thank you for stating how to pronounce the name of the place. :)
    2)Loved the picture of the horse and the sea gull in flight. And the Monet paintings.
    3)Kudos for not moping!
    4)You're so right about fighting for freedom. And so many times, it's nothing but freedom from parts of ourselves.
    Keep writing. Love :)

    ReplyDelete