Monday, October 11, 2010

Saint Valéry en Caux (Hautot L'Auvray)

It's been exactly 9 days now that I have been in France. I've settled in nicely. As I mentioned before I don't live in Rouen anymore but in Saint Valéry which is about one and a half hours from Rouen, the capital of Upper Normandy. So over the weekend, i was in Rouen; catching up with older assistant and new ones and for some reason I just felt a bit sad to not live there again because Rouen is so magnificent and there's so much to do and see. Saint Valéry is a beautiful town as well you know, but I saw almost everything there is to see in exactly a day! Plus it's the countryside and I'm not really used to being surrounded by so much grass and little insects on a daily basis. The place is also very peaceful and I guess there are a million people out there who would kill for my spot! I live about 10 mins from the coast. The other language teachers for this academic year have bailed out because the place is in the middle of nowhere so basically I am living all by myself in this massive 3 storey, 4 bedroom house right on the coast. It's a nice feeling to have so much space but on the other hand I can be a real wuss. The thing that scares me the most about the house is at night when the wind picks up and the whole place rattles like a skeleton on a tin roof! ugh! but other than that, I think the place is growing on me. I hate having to walk 20 mins to get my groceries but then again the walk will do me tons of good I suppose. Autumn is here and last year I was so preoccupied with various documents that I just breezed right through the season. This year I promised myself that I will chronicle my romance with Autumn as much as I can. So here's to one more year in France, more specifically in Saint Valéry!

Below are some pictures from Hautot L'Auvray where I spent two days. Every assistant has a contact professor who helps you get into the game at your school. My contact professor this time is really kind and he invited me to spend my first two days in France at his home with his wife and cat. He lives in Hautot L'Auvray which is a beautiful country town and sure enough it rained in Normandy and the countryside came alive. My nike shoes didn't respond too well to the mucky terrain but other than that I had a lovely time exploring this beautiful village. His wife has a very bohemian attitude so I was at home immediately and the house was decorated with the loveliest things one can find in various flea markets and tons of various orchids, one of my favourite flowers! 
Neighbours!
all the muck!
Off to Saint Valéry now..
At the end of my first night in Saint Valéry, the skies gave me such a beautiful welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment